Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park
Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park is an Arkansas state park situated in Prairie Grove. It remembers the Battle of Prairie Grove, battled December 7, 1862, in the American Civil War. The fight got northwestern Arkansas for the Union.
In 1908, the nearby part of the United Daughters of the Confederacy bought 9 sections of land at the focal point of the Battle of Prairie Grove. It was kept up with by the UDC as a gathering spot and in remembrances of the fight for right around 50 years. A nearby entrepreneur and lawmaker, J. Sherman Dill, looked for reserves while serving in the 38th Arkansas General Assembly to work on the recreation center, and was fruitful in securing $10,000 ($288,000 in the present dollars). These finances prompted the development of the stone opening at the recreation center passage, a wooden bandstand, and rock carport around 1925. In any case, the recreation center fell into decay during the Great Depression, and was fenced off from use for quite a long time.
In 1953, a recently framed Lion’s Club part took on the recreation center as a club project, fund-raising through local area occasions and building seats, outdoor tables, and walkways. In 1957, a 55-foot stone stack from adjacent Rhea’s Mill was painstakingly moved to the recreation center site. Other noteworthy structures from the space, including a 1834 log home and smithy’s shop, were moved to the recreation center site before long.
A gallery was developed after an estate by Biscoe Hindman, the grandson of General Thomas C. Hindman who told the Confederate powers in the fight. Committed on May 31, 1964, the gallery is named Hindman Hall. The recreation center was added to the state park framework in 1971 in a joint exertion among Governor Dale Bumpers and state administrators Morriss Henry, Hugh Kincaid, and Charles W. Stewart. The recreation center developed through land acquisitions and gifts in 1980, 1992, and 2005.
The part of the recreation center inside a 64-section of land (26 ha) triangle framed by North Rd. on the northwest and Highway 62 was first recorded on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. The space of this locale was expanded in 1992 to 65.8 sections of land and afterward again in 2005 to 707.8 sections of land.